Monday, December 19, 2011

Our artists: Erica Spitzer Rasmussen


Erica Spitzer Rasmussen creates amazing clothing from organic materials, like dried tomatoes, fish skin, hair and manufactured materials like Bandaids, and fortunes from Chinese fortune cookies. Her pieces are powerful, yet delicate. She makes handmade paper which she uses as a base for her pieces, adorning them with multiple items.

She writes, "I use clothing as subject matter because it provides me a ground on which to investigate identity and corporeality. My garments are metaphors. They can encompass narrative qualities, illustrate and dissolve bodily fears, or act as talismanic devices.

In addition to utilizing handmade paper, I often incorporate non-archival media into my work. I derive great joy from transforming everyday materials into something personal, meaningful and beautiful. When I see tomato paste, dog hair, sausage casings, spent tea bags or dried fish skins, I envision a work that may be transitory in nature, but rich in surfaces."

Erica teaches studio arts as an Associate Professor at Metropolitan State University (St. Paul, MN).

No comments:

Post a Comment