Monday, December 19, 2011

Our artists: Ingrid Goldbloom Bloch


Ingrid Goldbloom Bloch's fantastic undergarments take the idea of lingerie into a new realm. She weaves utilitarian materials: aluminum strips from cans, dryer parts, rivets, and other metal odds and ends into life-sized bras, undies and garter belts. She incorporates the rich colors and shiny nature of these materials into stunning pieces which rival any designer style.

She writes, "I love hardware stores. As a little girl, I would accompany my father on his errands and get lost in the aisles imagining all the things I could make from the bits and pieces I came across. Hardware stores are treasure troves of hidden art forms. If one looks beyond an items intended purpose, it can be transformed into something surprising and beautiful. By using ordinary items designed for other purposes to create my art, one is compelled to take a closer look at the materials and see them in a new light.

Trashy Lingerie 1, 2 & 3 are meant to be humorous depictions of women’s undergarments and the pursuit of looking sexy at the expense of comfort."

No comments:

Post a Comment